Saturday, February 24, 2007

It wouldn't be a Journey without a Quest

I hate to keep sounding like a broken record but, it's still all about the pain medication and sleeping. Our bold experiment on Thursday night was a semi success. The good news is that Chris didn't sleep any worse with only extra strength Tylenol at bed time than she did with Vicodin. The bad news is she didn't sleep any better either. So, the quest continues for that elusive good nights sleep. Chris spoke to the nurse again and she recommended Tylenol PM to help her sleep. So, off I went to the Pharmacy, my home away from home. Last night I gave her 1 Tylenol PM and 1 extra strength Tylenol (I should be getting a royalty check from them for all the free press they've gotten from me!).

I woke up early this morning, put on the coffee and trudged outside to get the paper. I was snuggled up next to the fire, newspaper on my lap and a streaming mug of Starbucks in my hand when Chris came shuffling out of the bedroom. I look at her with my usual sense of hope and ask "Well, how did it go last night Honey?" She looked a little better as she came toward we. She slept from 10:30pm to 1:00 am (or in Chris' terms she slept through Jay Leno and Craig Ferguson and woke up in the middle of Jimmy Kimmel!) Went to the potty then slept through until 4:00 am when she woke up with her back screaming. After 1,000 mg of Tylenol she was able to sleep til 8 o'clock. Not a perfect nights sleep but better. The good news is she doesn't have that awful groggy feeling like she did with the Vicoin. So once she was up and moving around she felt pretty good.

We are getting our first major snow storm of the winter this weekend. It's really beautiful watching the snow come down. The storm has started with freezing rain but it's starting to accumulate now. Chris is enjoying sitting by the window watching the wind blow the delicate flakes around like sand at the beach. Catie and I are waiting for there to be enough on the ground so we can get out and ski. The trails have been closed the last week due to lack of snow. We are expecting 8 to 12 inches so it's pretty exciting. For the first time, the kids are getting to experience a true winter wonderland.

No comments: