Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Hi from Chris!

Hello Everyone!

It's me:) I told you I'd be in touch and I thank the good Lord for the gift of life again. The worst days seem to be behind me but the days ahead continue to be a challenge! I got home from the hospital Monday afternoon and I am still adjusting to not having the comforts of that hospital bed and those control bottoms!! I am amazed at how weak I am and have lots of highs and lows in my day. I was told that the first two weeks at home are the worst and I hope they are right. Evenings are the hardest, with trying to manage pain and keeping comfortable in bed. Poor Jeff hasn't had a good nights rest since I've been home (we laugh at how it feels like having a new born in the house or a new puppy, for those of you that don't have kids).

Jeff is home with me this week and next. My sister-in-law, Julie, is planning to drive up from Milwaukee the week of the 26th, after Jeff returns to work. Maybe I won't even need her by then but at this point, I am unsure. I am amazed that I have come a long way since the 5th but have such a long way to go before I am independent again. I totally hate having to relay on others for everything. Jeff is being my physical therapist too and makes me walk and do the exercises I trained with at the hospital.

I get around the house with a walker!! Ugh! My other sister-in-law, Jenny, suggested I sign-up for my AARP membership, before my rates go up! I've always known that I've been a busy body and rarely sit still, so being down and out is a new thing for me. I am learning (not by choice) to slow down and enjoy the stillness a day can bring. Talk about having the world stand still for a while.

I am so happy to be home with the kids again too! They are all so happy to have me back and constantly come by and give me hugs and kisses. Catie especially loves to snuggle with me on the couch and read books.

The local church our family has visited since Sept., Westwood Community Church, has arranged to bring meals for our family till Feb. 23!! What a blessing from a group of people that don't even know us! We haven't been regular attenders because I haven't felt well most of the time. I just let them know about my surgery and asked to be placed on their prayer list. To my surprise, two of their pastors came to the hospital to visit and pray with me! I am so happy the family doesn't have to worry about what to make for dinner for now. Hopefully by the time the meals stop coming, I'll be able to whip up a quick meal again.

I hope you've all had a chance to read Jeff's blog regarding my surgery and recovery. He's a funny writer and it was interesting the hear his side of this experience. I guess he'll continue to add postings, so I invite you to visit when you have quiet time. It's kinda fun to keep a journal and it helps me realize how much I've accomplished already.

Thank you all soooo much from the bottom of my heart for all your prayers, phone calls, cards in the mail, encouraging e-mails, wonderful e-cards, flowers and thoughts and hugs from afar! I treasure all of you and your love and support have done more than you'll ever know. Well... I must go rest... this e-mail has taken a lot of energy out of me. Sending lot's of love and hugs to all on this Valentine's Day! Chris:-)))))

No comments: