Tuesday, October 06, 2020

Day 23 (10/5/20)

Doldrums

Start: River Mile 654
Finish: River Mile 630
Day Total: 26 miles
Segment Total: 611 Miles

Woke last night at 11:30 pm with a plat air mattress. I blew it back up, and it slowly leaked to flat about every 2 hours. I still slept ok, but it was concerning, especially on the sites were we are sleeping on rocks. I made a note to find the leak and patch it when we arrive at camp this afternoon. 

Pack up was uneventful and we were on the water by 8:30 am. Approx 3 miles into the day, we ran across 1 foot white water, very scattered and coming from all directions. There seemed to be an edge to it so we paddled for that. Before long we both found ourself stuck on a sandbar that was over half a mile wide. There was fast current and testing the sand, my paddle sank 2 foot deep in the sand. SO, I was not going to be getting out of my boat to try and drag myself off. I was on a ledge that was in 2 inches of water. It took me 20 minutes to free myself, at which point I noticed Jon was also stuck a few hundred yards ahead. I turned my phone and to talk and he explained that when he got out of his boat to try to free himself he somehow lost his primary paddling. 

At this point I was paddling back out through the whitewater to try and get to the calmer water of the shipping channel. I also realized that my rudder was stuck in the up position which made navigating the whitewater difficult. I spend 10 minutes trying to get to Jon to give him my spare paddle, but it was getting sketchy. I took a big rouge wave right in the chest as it crashed over my cockpit. Even with my spray skirt on, I was soaked from the waist up.

Jon and I discovered that there was a narrow channel down the middle of a 2 mile long sand island. We decided it was best for me to paddling around that island to get to a calm spot were I could get out of my boat, and walk the spare paddle back to him. By the time I was able to land, I was a good half mile past Jon, so the walk back to him took a while. He was able to limp along with his spare which is a canoe paddle, and not really up to the job on the stretch of water we were on.  Once he had my spare we were able to continue on, but the physical and mental stress of the experience really sapped out energy. We did manage to get in 25 river miles to a nice beach site. 

We landed earlier than we normally would, partly because we needed to get our device batteries set up on the solar charger. 

I’m not sure what my deal is, but I’m definitely in a quite withdrawn mood since we landed. I know Jon notices it but he’s being very accepting of the place I’m at right now. Once we get the fire going hopefully I’ll snap out of it. 

I’m glad today is over, and am looking forward to a new day tomorrow! 

Lil Pug needed some java this morning 

Sunset campfire is always a highlight


2 comments:

Pam Zwieg said...

Hi Jeff,
We have been enjoying your journey. Fun pictures too. Today sounded really tough, who wouldn’t feel bewildered?....Sending good vibes your way. Love & Friendship, H & P Z
😊

Jeff Wunrow said...

Thanks Pam. The bad days help you to apply the good ones.