Thursday, October 01, 2020

Day 17 (9/29/20)

See what a little tail wind can do for you?
Start: River Mile 796 
Finish: River Mile 768
Day Total: 29 Miles
Segment Total: 467

This morning was chilly, in the low 50’s. Thankfully the wind from the day before that died down so I was calm and cool. Nice weather for the pack up. We had met a couple, Rebecca and Dave at the boat ramp. She is paddling the river from St Cloud MN to the Gulf. Dave will paddle some sections with her, while on others he takes her to and from the landings and coordinates all their logistics. Not a bad way to paddle if you have the right partner. As we were setting up camp, Rebecca came over and asked if she could paddle with us tomorrow, which I agreed to.
Our little band of 3 was paddling away from the launch at 8:15 am. We had the wind at our backs for the first 24 miles. Making to time and enjoying conversation, quite paddling and solitude, depending on what you were in the mood for. 

At about mile 24 for the day and river mile 773 we rounded a bend that took us back into the teeth of the wind.  It started out bad and got progressively worse. We were back to stretching a clawing our way back down (felt like up) the river. Richardsons Landing was our destination for the day. Even though it was only 2:00pm the last 5 miles at sealed the deal for us.

At the landing was a cute retired couple, Bill and Pat. I chanted with them several times as I was unpacking my gear. When we would done setting up camp, they drive up and asked if we had Covid Masks, which of course we do. They said, Great, put em on and we’ll give you are ride to Burger King? Heck yeah we said!! So, we had an early dinner of burgers and fries, Yum!

Comparing Rebeccas river plan to ours,  I think I like our all in, do it on our own style. I have learned that there is no right or wrong way to paddle the Mississippi. As the saying goes “My trip, my rules!” I’m very lucky that my paddling partner Jon and I have so similar a view of what success looks like. 

Me and Paddle buddy Rebecca with the wind at our backs

Breaking camp this morning


The sky was very dramatic today





 

No comments: