Sunday, September 20, 2020

Day 8 (9/20/20)

A First Class seat on the Struggle Bus
Start: River Mile 80
Finish: River Mile 52
Day Total: 28 Miles
Segment Total: 226 Miles

Woke this morning to a chilly temperature of 44 degrees. In packing for the trip I though we would not be dealing with temps at night near that cold. With the appropriate about of layers on, I was warm in my sleeping bag. Getting dressed and functioning out in the cold world, was something else all together.  

As we were slogged through getting our gear organized in the cold, our good friend Mayor Randy drive up with two orders of Biscuits and Gravy. Talk about a city welcoming committee! The warm food really helped us the get ready and on the water.

After 38 miles yesterday, I was feeling kind of sluggish the first couple of miles. I had to start doing 10 paddle strokes, rest for 5. Then work up to 25 strokes, rest for 5. This helped me to get back into my regular none stop paddling cadence. However, I was not my self for the first 15 miles.  Finally, I had some leftover pizza and Mt Dew, which gave me a kick start. Add to that, listening to the Packer game I was able to rally and make good time to Cape Girardeau. 
 
The river town of Cape Girardeau has a rich history in the lore of the Mississippi River, settled by the Spanish in 1764. Recently, The Cape was the backdrop for the Ben Affleck movie Gone Girl.

Jon did a great job in finding us a B & B to stay in today. The owners were so kind to come to the landing and drive us and our gear back to our housing. Were able to shower, get a load of laundry started and getting out wet tents and sleeping bag laid out to dry. 

Dinner was the local brewery Minglewood Brewing a short walk from our . Had a really good IPA and a Imperial Stout. It’s so nice after nearly a week of camping and drinking warm beer, being in The Cape and have a brewery and restaurants, it makes the day even better.

Our camp at Grand Tower


Passed a 42 barge tow heading upstream this morning 




No comments: