Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Day 10 (9/22/20)

Mud and Rain and Mud and Rain

Start: River Mile 19 (upper river)
Finish: River Mile 937 ( lower river)
Day Total: 36 Miles 
Segment Total: 296 Miles 

Got up and started packing at 5:30 am. As I was getting my gear organized I caught a whiff of a small ember from last night’s fire. Just for fun I stoked it up and got it roaring again. It was a pleasure to get organized while having a fire to warm up next to. Packing went really well until it came to me to haul everything down to the muddy gross water river bank. By the time everything was loaded and I was in my boat both me and El Coyote were covered in mud! Talk about starting the day on a low note. 

Based on the weather forecast we were expecting no wind and overcast sky’s with no rain.  The first NOAA lie was the constant 5-10 mph head wind. The second lie was regarding rain. By 1:30 pm we had a drizzle that worked itself into a steady rain for the next 4 hours. Landing and setting up camp in the rain added to the joy. 

Things turned around when Jon walked the mile into Columbus KY to see if he could find some hot food and cold drinks. I stayed back to finish setting up camp and see about collecting fire wood. About 90 minutes after he left a car pulled up to our camp. Out hops Jon with two bags of food, accompanied by Rob and his nephew Jacob. Rob and his wife own the general store in town a little place called the Beards and Roses. 

Rob and Jacob stayed and chatted for a few minutes. Before leaving Rob invited us to come back to his store in the morning for a hot breakfast. Of course we accepted!

Quote of the day:
Me: I don’t see anywhere that a parking lot could be. 
Jon: Well, that’s cause yer not thinking like a Parkin’ Lot!

It was a day of rain today

Packing up on our muddy landing 

Double Zero. At the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers. 


No comments: