Thursday, September 24, 2020

Day 12 (9/24/20)

Earthquake Capital of the Midwest
Start: River Mile 912
Finish: River Mile 898
Day Total: 22 Miles
Segment Total: 343 Miles

Last night during our campfire, we were chased into our tents by a steady rain. So, I sat in my tent starting at 8:30 pm, still trying to finish my Bourbon. Thankfully I was able to get all my gear stored in my test or under my vestibules before is started to rain. So snug in my tent I rode out the rain all night. I got up again early so I could be packed up and ready to launch. I’m getting pretty good at packing in the dark via the light of my headlamp.

With my early rise, I was able to get into my boat by 7:30 am, a new record for me! Today’s goal was the small river town of New Madrid, MO. New Madrid was the first commercial port for River transport north of New Orleans. It was a hopping place back in the 1800’s. Like so many small river towns, they are working hard to reinvent themselves. The river front park is beautiful and we found a lovely Mexican Restaurant on the west side of town. I will say that the People of New Madrid are very friendly and seem always ready to lend a helping hand. They are proud of their place in Mississippi River history.

We have set up camp on the riverfront, and have a really nice view of the River, from the vantage point of the original military fort. 

Our camp on the New Madrid river front, was everything we hoped for

Jon and I plotting our maps during a floating lunch

Smiling in the rain

This morning we celebrated paddling in Kentucky with its state flat sticker






 

No comments: