Sunday, September 13, 2020

Day 1 (9/13/20) It’s a Beautiful Day


Start: Mile 273

Stop: Mile 249.5

Total: 24.5

Christina and I drove the 54 miles from Hannibal, MO to the little village of Clarksville, MO, on the western bank of the Mississippi River. I knew I had packed more food than I could carry, but as usual I got over confidant and bought 3 weeks worth of snacks such as 2.5 pounds of home made beef jerky, 5 pounds of home made trail mix and more. I was very conscious to take full advantage of the internal bow and stern points of my dry hatches, and wouldn’t you know it, I make everything fit!

Christina stayed to watch us launch. I’m so grateful to have a life partner that understands my passion for adventure and is is will to work with me to make time for the second leg of my source to sea saga. Thank you my love, for the blessing you are to me!

We launched just down river from Lock and Dam 24 to a river with a strong current. It’s was so freeing to feel my shoulders and back come to life as we begin our final push to the Gulf of Mexico. Temps in the high 60’s and a nice breeze at our back made for perfect paddling conditions,
My boat El Coyote was sitting very low in the water with the nearly 150 pounds of equipment and supplies. 

About 20 miles in, we encountered a school of jumping Asian Carp. For 30 seconds we paddled through a cloud of flying 2 foot fish, slamming into my kayak and paddle. Luckily we didn’t have any land in our lap. These things are gross garbage fish, an invasive species that have taken over the river. Thanks China. 

By 4:00 pm we started to keep our eyes peeled for a suitable place to camp. We settled on a nice sandy beach on the Eastern shore of Stag Island. We have nice campfire on the beach, with our tents nestled into a wooded area a safe ten feet higher than the river. As I write this the only sounds I hear are of song birds, insects and the occasional barge chugging up river.

Jon’s Quote of the Day. 
I’ve never seen Flying Carp or a Flock of Pelicans.”

Time to have some Kentucky Bourbon and relax by the fire. 24 miles on the first, not bad. It was a really great first day, I can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings.



No comments: