Friday, August 17, 2018

Mississippi River 8/15/2018 11:40 am

One thing I learned yesterday, It's way hotter paddling in the afternoon than in the morning. So, today I tried to get to 2/3 distance before lunch. I was successful and found a nice riverside park in Monticello. I was able to hide my boat out of sight to the park goers so I could get out and explore. I found a nearby Walgreens that had ice cold drinks, so I walked over and bought a Mt Dew to go with my peanut butter burritos. Also in looking over the map, I had misread the noted water replenishment spots thinking they were on day two, when they were actually on day  three, meaning I was going to have to go into water conservation mode. Luckily this park had a water faucet and I was able to refill all my water containers. Another lesson learned for next year.

I was able to hang out reading in the shade until 2:30 to allow for a less hot afternoons paddle.



This is my morning set up to keep the sun off my face, neck and ears.
In the afternoon it gets reversed to protect my neck 

No comments: