Friday, August 17, 2018

Mississippi River 8/15/2015 5:00 pm

The afternoons paddling was more technical than anything I've experienced to this point. Lots of rough water at every river bend. Water level is only between 6 inches and 3 feet, so whenever there are rocks, the water gets rough with white water thrown in just to make things spicy!

I misread the map thinking I was still 2 miles away from camp when I looked at the island to my left and saw what I thought was sign. As I paddled closer, I realized that this was the site I was looking for. Wow, total God thing that I happened to look over when I did.

As I had reading in the Mississippi River Paddlers facebook page, with the river level being low, the access to some the campsites can be difficult. The Dimmick Island site was one of those were there was a four foot bluff I had to scramble up and then hall all my gear and boat up.


No comments: