Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Hope Won!

I have always strived to not be preachy in my blog postings. How ever, I was moved to tears last night as I watched a sea of humanity gather at Grant Park in Chicago to bear witness to the most historic event of our time. Last night, we elected a president that did not use a divisive strategy of hate and fear, but one of hope, unity and the idea that we can all either be a part of the problem or a part of the solution. More that 150 years after Abraham Lincoln signed the emancipation proclamation and 40 years after the civil rights movement of Martin Luther King, America elected a man of color to the highest office in the land. Barack Obama will be the 44th President of the United States. Just typing those words gives me goose bumps and brings tears of pride to my eyes. On this day in history, we Americans put our petty differences aside and came together to do the right thing.

I was born in December of 1960. One month after John F. Kennedy was elected as President and one month before his swearing in on January 20th. I was only two years old when he was assassinated in Dallas Texas. So, I don't have any memories of him. But I have many friends and relative that were and I clearly remember them sharing with me the feeling of hope that he inspired in them. I have not personally had that feeling about an elected official...Until last night! I am including a YouTube link to Barack's acceptance speech. It is something that every American should watch and re-watch in the weeks leading up to the inauguration in January. It is a clear and powerful reminder that we as a people can accomplish great things. God Bless Barack Obama.

No comments: