Friday, January 11, 2008

Top of the World

Today is a sad day for adventurers and outdoor enthusiates around the world. Sir Edmund Hillary passed away today in New Zealand of a heart attack. For those that don't know him, Hillary along with Sherpa Tenzing Norgay became the first men to set foot on Mt. Everest, the worlds tallest mountain, to roof of the world. The pair where a part of the 9th British expedition to the mountain. At 29,002 feet above sea level, Everest's summit raises as high into the atmosphere as a typical passenger jet flying at cruising altitude!

I have been a lover of the mountains for most of my life. I moved to California to be near them. I have spent many vacations hiking, climbing and exploring the mountains of the American west. However, ever since my teens I have been infatuated with the really big peaks. The Himalaya were three of the 5 highest mountains reside and home to Mount Everest hold my rapt attention each spring during climbing season. I have read countless books about Hillary and many who have followed in his foot steps. One of my life goals is to trek to Everest base camp, to see this amazing peak up close.

The story of Hillary and Tenzing captivated my childhood imagination. It made me aware of the harshness, danger, beauty and drama that a big mountain holds. His story is the first one to grab me, to make me want to learn more, to read and see more. Thank you Edmund, for lighting the fire of adventure that has burned in my heart ever since.

No comments: