Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas!

Holiday greetings from my gang here in Minnesota. Thanksgiving is over and the leftover turkey is in the freezer. My birthday has come and gone and I am officially one year older. A look at the thermometer shows that is it 11 degree's outside. The Holiday decorations are all up. So, what's next on my list? Oh yeah, it's time to write the Christmas letter! I settle in next to the fire with the Packer game in the background I begin to recount another memorable year.

We had several big milestone events this year. Alex graduated from Minnetonka High School in June in a class of over 700 seniors. After a year of research, applications and campus visits he selected the University of Nebraska the home to his college career. Nik and I drove Alex and his good friend Ed to Lincoln in mid-August where they moved into Abel hall. Journalism is Alex's major. He also writes for two student run newspapers on campus, the campus paper the Daily Nebraskan and the student satirical paper the Daily-er Nebraskan. Between the two he has been published 6 times. We look forward to having him home for the holidays.

Catie finished up her middle school life at Minnetonka West Middle School in June. Her continued passion for dance led her to search for alternative opportunities for high school. In September she began class at the Main Street School of Performing Arts, a charter school in the Hopkins school district. Catie absolutely loves her new school and is doing well academically and is making lots of new friends. She continues to dance at Magic Ballroom and recently got a new dance partner who she will begin competing with in February.

Nik is in his final year at Transitions Plus in St. Louis Park. He is now starting to plan for the next phase of his education and is leaning towards Hennipen County Technical College. He's such a techie kid it only makes sense that there will be opportunities in the tech world. He is also working hard at getting his drivers license. I've been taking him out to practice quite a bit and he's doing a good job. He recently started to learn the daunting skill of parallel parking.

Chris is doing great. Her back is continuing to get stronger, with far more good days than bad. She continues to be the CEO of our little enterprise called, The Wunrow's on Melody Lane. Chris really enjoys having my cousin Sheryl live so close. The two of them enjoy spending time together and are very active doing volunteer work for a local food pantry. Chris and I recently met our weight loss goals with the help of Weight Watchers. Between the two of us we lost almost 30 pounds. Chris also used her immense powers of persuasion to convince me to buy her a dog! She is now the proud mama of a cute little rescue Pug named Lola. Boy that little dog sure does love Chris, and Chris in turn sure loves that little dog.

As for me, all of the events outlined above where highlights. My career highlight this year was the marking of my 25th year working at Quad. I can't believe how fast the time has gone. I still am so grateful for the blessing that my job is in my life. I also had a really great year of paddling. I was able to extend the season with a wetsuit kayaking from late march all the way to mid November. I still love photography, however that is one passion that I have not been as focused on in the last year (no pun intended). Geocaching is still the activity that gives my brothers and I an excuse to spend time together searching for small boxes out in the woods, in the darkest night in the dead of winter...yeah it's an illness for sure!

We are proud of our children's many accomplishments. The obstacles they have all overcome to get where they are today. We are grateful for all the blessings we have received. We also thank all the family and friends that have spent time with us either at our home or on our travels. You are the fabric of our lives and we are happy to have you. We wish all of you a happy and Blessed Christmas and New Year.

God Bless You.

Jeff, Chris, Nik, Alex and Catie
(oh and Cookie the Cat and Lola the Pug too!)

PS: Our ink on paper news letter will be going out in the mail in the next few days. It will contain bonus photos and our annual Christmas Card. I just wanted to get this news part out before Christmas.

No comments: