Friday, December 25, 2009

Dreaming of a White Christmas

I need to dream no longer. We actually had a white Christmas! Just like the ones I used to know! The tree are all weighed down with a heavy blanket of snow. They remind me of the Flocked trees they sell in California, only way whiter and way prettier. By my best guess, in the last 48 hours we had about 14 inches of the white stuff. The boys and I have been out shoveling 6 times, 3 with the snow blower to try to keep the driveway and side walk clear.

The kids all slept till 9 am then slowly started trickling up stairs. One by one they arrived in the kitchen, a little sleepy and asking when we where going to open the presents from Chris and I and Grandpa and Grandma Wunrow. It was very sweet, and reminded me of those Christmas' past when they were small. I guess it's true that Christmas does bring out the child in all of us.

After opening presents and getting the kitchen cleaned up from the night before, the boys and I headed out to clear the 4 inches of snow that had fallen the night before. This mornings snow as much wetter and therefore heavier than yesterdays, so we were really glad to have the snow blower to clear that away without breaking our backs.

At 11:30 we made the one mile drive over the river and through the woods to Rich and Sheryl's house for Christmas brunch. This is a tradition in their home that goes back to their many years living in Michigan. They served up an amazing spread of food including egg bake, french toast bake, breakfast sausage, bratwurst, hash browns, fresh fruit, mimosa's, and a wonderful selection of home made Christmas cookies. Missing, but not missed (my me since I've never had it) was the fresh Polish sausage that Rich explained was part of their tradition. However, after searching every butcher and specialty meat shop in the twin cities, they learned that the Norwegians and Swedes' that settled in the North Star state where not too fond of Polish sausage. Rich is now contemplating taking up sausage making to assure a reliable supply of this most central part of their holiday tradition!

After brunch we relaxed and chatted for a while. I myself made a trip or two the the cookie tray, they were just too yummy to pass up. And hey, I've been working hard shoveling snow, so I know I'm burning lots of calories! Later, we exchanges gifts between our two families and headed home around 2:00, with the idea (mine anyway) of taking a nap. Well, once we got home we noticed that the neighbors had built a snow man that was gazing intriguingly across the street to our house.

That was all it took to get Chris and Catie motivated to build one of their own. So they got bundled up and off they went. It wasn't long before they called Alex and I away from our basketball game to join them, which we did. Even Lola got geared up and joined us. We had snow ball fights, played with the doggie in the snow (which was over her head by the way!) and of course finished off the construction of Melody Frost, the intended mate of Jack Frost our snow man neighbor from across the street. What a fun and memorable Christmas Day. We are so happy that Alex was home from school to enjoy it with us!

Alex does the heavy lifting

Chris and Lola working the base

The crew that built Melody Frost

No comments: