Sunday, December 06, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!!!

I was a little bit bummed when I woke up on my birthday Friday morning, the last day of a business trip to Denver. Wishing I were home with my family I was looking forward to getting home that evening so I could celebrate with Chris and the kids. My mood soon changed though as I checked my phone and found several birthday greetings from some family and friends on Facebook. Then I got a e-mail from Chris, and a Tweet from Alex and and text from Dad and on and on and on it went all day. I received so many birthday wishes from so many people, it was truly moving. I was struck by how much technology is woven into our daily lives. And today it was technology that allowed family and friends of mine from all over the country to easily, and personally reach out to me and have meaningful communication with me. This was not possible even a few years ago and I am grateful for it.

My flight home was smooth. I even got bumped up from a middle seat to an aisle with out even asking! Arriving home, I walked into the kitchen to a bouquet of delicious smells. After getting hugs from Chris and the kids, they sat me down for dinner. The surprise dinner that Chris had been taunting me with all day was laid out before me. Scrimp, steak, roasted veggies, baked potato, garlic bread and a glass of red wine. What a treat! We enjoyed dinner together, then took a break to open my gifts (as if I needed more than I'd already received today!) before enjoying my favorite birthday cake. What a great way to end up a memorable and special day.


Saturday morning started out nice and quite, having not been home for most of week, it was just what the doctor ordered. Just as I was finishing getting dressed, the doorbell rang. Chris called out that there was someone here to see me. "Who the heck is here to see Me?" I thought. I walk into the dining room and there stand my Dad and Bonnie! I was in complete shock. I gave Dad a huge hug that I just didn't want to end. What a blessing. I haven't spent a birthday with my Dad in forever. The surprises didn't stop there. They had tickets to the Plymouth Playhouse presentation of Away in the Basement a Church Basement Ladies Christmas. A very funny local musical. After the play we went to Kona Grill for dinner. Sushi for appetizers and a seared Ahi tuna entree were delicious. What a wonderful surprise ending to a perfect birthday. Thank you Chris, Dad, Bonnie and all my family and friends that where a part of this memorable celebration.

No comments: