Friday, March 02, 2007

Time for Catchup

Wow, I'm sorry its been so long since my last posting. I can't believe it was Wednesday. It's been a very busy few days. The snow started on Wednesday evening. Nik had what looked like Pink Eye, so I took him to the doctors office after work. Turns out it was Pink Eye and they prescribed some eye drops for him. As we were leaving Walgreen's, my home away from home, Chris called and asked that we swing by Culvers and pick her up some custard. Well, even though the snow was really coming down, how could I say no to my sweet little patient? So off we went, dodging the spun out cars that nearly blocked our path to safely bring home her frozen tasty treat.

We awoke the next morning to about 3 inches of snow. Not what the weather man predicted, but it was the thick and heavy variety. Knowing there was more snow to come that day, I wanted to get the driveway shoveled so I could stay on top of it. I thought about firing up the snow blower, but it didn't seem like that much snow so I opted for the shovel. Big mistake. It was like trying to shovel mashed potatoes! I should have cut my losses and gone for the snow blower, but I am still a stubborn German at heart so I toughed it out.

The big adventure on Thursday was taking Chris to the doctor for her first follow-up appointment after the surgery. The roads were a bit on the slick side as the winter storm that started last Wednesday night was gaining strength. The visit went really well. The doctor said that everything was progressing just as it should. I was kicking my self for not bringing the camera. I would have love to take a picture of the x-rays for you all to see. It's really amazing all the hardware Chris in side of her. It's no wonder she has been in so much stinkin' pain! I'll definitely bring the camera to her next appointment on May 1st.

It snowed the rest of the day and pretty much all of Thursday night. In the late evening it was really coming down hard. My best guess is at that point we were getting close to two inches of snow per hour. It's been so beautiful to watch all the snow pile up outside. When I got up this morning the snow as just tapering off to flurries. The view from inside the garage looking out over the driveway was breathtaking. The snow in the driveway ranged from 18 to 24 inches deep. And this after I shoveled twice the day before! Nik, Catie and I tackled the snow right after breakfast. I fired up the snow blower and Nik and Catie grabbed shovels to attack the steps. Man did that snow blower get a workout! I can't even guess how many cubic feet of snow we had to move. All I can tell you is that the piles of snow on either side of the driveway are over my head! I don't think I've ever seen so much snow in my life.

After we finished with the driveway, Catie, Nik and I went into the back yard and made a huge snow pile. We will let this sit overnight and then tomorrow (Saturday) we will dig it out to make a snow cave. I also hope to get in some Cross-Country Skiing tomorrow, it's been a couple of weeks since we had enough snow for that. So, all in all we survived our first big snow storm her in Minnesota. We keep hearing that March is the snowiest month of the year here so it may not be our last. I say bring it on, we're having a blast!

No comments: