Friday, March 02, 2007

1st Post-Op Doctors Appointment

Message from Christina:

Hello there Friends!

Just wanted to share that I had my first post-op doctor appointment yesterday.

Getting there was fun (my 4 wheel drive worked overtime) and getting out of the house was wonderful. I still can't drive, so Jeff took the day off to take me there. I hadn't left the house since I returned home from the hospital and had major cabin fever. The drive was absolutely beautiful with all the snow that was falling and seeing how it draped the trees and hills was picture postcard pretty.

Today is an official snow day for the kids and Jeff too, since getting out of the garage will take him at least an hour or more to dig out. We've had over 12 inches of snow and are expecting another 2-3 inches before it stops. Yeah!! from the former California gang! Cate is outside right now, busy building a snow fort, who knew she had an inner snow bunny waiting to get out.

Anyway, back to my doctor appointment. After x-rays were taken, we got to see what everything looks like inside of me. As I glanced at the x-rays, all I saw was hardware! It was interesting to see those screws planted right into my bones, no wonder I've had such aches! The doctor was very pleased with how everything looked and basically wants me to continue with more of the same follow-up at home. He wants me to continue walking but not use the walker as much and double my exercise schedule. He said the healing is slow but I should start to feel more like myself by the 4th month, which for me, will be some time in early June. From here on out, he will follow my progress bi-monthly, so I won't return to his office till May 1st.

In the meantime, I'll continue to take it easy and enjoy the fact that nothing is expected of me (also enjoy watching the squirrels outside my window search for their nuts, talk about forgetful). I continue taking pain medicine but seem to go further between needing doses. I really feel that this week was a major turning point for me. I am a lot more comfortable and can walk quicker and easier. I am pleased with my progress and feel that the worst of discomfort is behind me.

Jeff is back at work and I am now on my own from 9am till the kids return from school. I really miss him, he has been the best caregiver anyone could want. Now he calls me from work when it's time for each dose, it appears he's having problems pulling away from his nursing duties. He has charted all my progress, therapy and medicine schedule on spread sheets... that cracks me up... he is such a computer geek but I love that about him!

My sweet neighbors brought us meals this week. I've enjoyed the visits and each dinner has been so yummy. The staff at Jeff's office has taken a collection and bought us meals from a company called Let's Dish. We have about 10 frozen meals to just heat up and enjoy. With all the leftovers and frozen food stashed away, I won't have to worry about cooking till the end of March. It's so heart warming, how supportive and caring everyone has been!

Okay, I better stop chatting because I am probably boring you by now. I know how you all have such "busy" lives and are eager to get back to them. I am a bit jealous about that... my biggest wish at the moment is being able to bend over and to some day drive my car! Talk about simple needs.

That's the latest, drop me an e-mail or call when you find some spare time. As you know... I am just "hanging out" watching the world go by!

Have a great weekend!

Love, Chris

PS. Another special meal? Much to our surprise... Friday evening we enjoyed a meal brought to us by a good friend. Did I mention she lives in California!! Our dear friend, Debbie Blackford, from Corona, California insisting on bring us a meal but how long distance you ask?? Well, she went on-line and order Pizza Hut and had it delivered to our door! Thanks so much Deb! The whole gang was grateful!!

No comments: