Friday, March 09, 2007

Like Father, Like Son

As anyone that knows my father will attest to, he as a knack for bumping his head. I don't mean this as a metaphor, I mean he really bumps his head on stuff. I'm talking window ledges , doors, the roof of the car, the list could go on and on. It seems like every time I see him he has some kind of scab some where on his head from some unfortunate cranial impact. Now, I'm not trying to be mean. I find it to be one of the many things that make him unique. Me and my siblings have had many a good belling laugh sitting around the table after a family meal trading stories about Dad's head bumping antics.

We'll the torch has been passed and I am know begining on a skull smacking career of my own. Yesterday morning I was walking into the closet in the bedroom to get dressed. Something caught my eye on the TV as I kept walking, not looking exactly were I was going and SMACK! I cracked the top of my head on the corner of this huge TV cabinet. This big honkin' 90 degree corner at the perfect hight to scrape along the top of my head. I just know I made the same face I've seen Dad make countless times...shoulders hunched, head bent slightly forward, eyes twisted shut and teeth clenched in pain.....DHHOOO!!! Man did that hurt! So off I head to work sporting a really nice 2 inch raw scrape right across the top of my head.

Now, this is not a first for me, my own kids have some stories they could tell, but this latest experience got me thinking and I have now developed a theory, that goes something like this. Every man has a magnetic force inside his head. As a baby it's the force that makes his head seem heavy, wobbly and unstable. As we grow, our hair gets thicker and fuller, thus insulating the magnetic force and keeping it in check. As a man ages, and this hair begins to thin, this changes the delicate balance that has protected the mans skull for low these many years. Once the magnetic force is left unchecked, the head is now drawn torward it's inevitable impact with items hard and sharp. You can try to fight this relentless force, and may even control it for weeks or even months at a time, but it is always there. Just waiting for that one small moment of weakness or lack of focus and WHAM! there you go. Smack, grimus, bleed and scab. The endless cycle of the folically challenged.

No comments: