Sunday, May 09, 2021

Tennessee River Thru Paddle - Day 28 (5/8/21)

Let them eat steak
Start: River Mile: 140
Finish: River Mile: 119
Day Total: 21
Trip Total: 536

I walked over to the marina at 6:30 am to have breakfast. I had just missed the early morning rush of fisherman that stop in at 5:30 am prior to hitting the water at 6:00. My server was Lilly, who I came to learn is a nursing student, one year away from her masters degree. I told her all about my daughter Vanessa being a nurse. It was quiet so Lilly hung out and chatted while I had my breakfast.

Putting in to the river, from the dock at our guest house, was a great way to start the morning. I was able to dry entry my kayak so my feet stayed dry and paddle off into the morning. We had a light breeze and calm water to the start the day. About an hour into to paddle, it started raining, which continued for the next several hours. So, it was a soggy paddle until after lunch, then it stopped and we were able to dry out. 

An early morning barge to start the day off

We had set our goal for a boat ramp at RM 119, about 21 miles for the day. Leslie was to meet us at the ramp at 2:30pm. The paddle was beautiful. Over all I’d say the Tennessee river is much prettier from start to finish than the Mississippi. The weather hasn’t been the best, but part of that is it’s Spring time. 

Paddling through the scenic Tennessee river valley

Rainy day today

After Leslie picked us up, we headed back to our lodging at Fisherdale Marina, where we enjoyed a charcuterie tray that Leslie had prepared and a glass of red wine. After our happy hour we headed to the marina bar where we could get on the internet. While there I bought a few bottles of Mt Dew for tomorrow. 

Our stay here at Fisherdale marina has been really great. The staff has be wonderful and our host Donna Wadford has been a rock star. I highly recommend staying here when you are paddling the river, either a thru paddle or a sectional trip. 

Dinner was at Cowboys steak house, about 5 miles away. Jon and I had been craving steak for the last 3 weeks, so this was perfect! The place was hopping, and we had to wait 30 minutes for a table. Once we were seated, it was T-Bone’s all around. The food was good, and really hit the spot. I was only able to eat half of my 16 oz steak, so guess what I’m having for lunch tomorrow?!

By the time w got back from dinner it was 9:00pm and I was too tired to do anything but get my gear packed in the car so we could get an early start in the morning. So, too tired to go over to the Bar for internet so I could blog, I instead chose to call it a night and get some sleep.  

No comments: