Friday, January 16, 2009

Focus on the Positive, Living with the Negative (Temps)

This has been an interesting week, one that was filled with challenges of arctic proportions. We started the week out with 5 inches of snow, a nice addition since our snow up to this point has been kinda cruddy from a freak rain shower right after the new year. As soon as the snow stopped, the temperature dropped... And dropped...And DROPPED! Tuesday morning roared in with temperature of -17 below zero. I was in WI for work over the weekend so when I left Brookfield on Tuesday the temp was 10 above zero. As I drove towards home the temperature steadily dropped so that by noon I was driving in temps of -11 below. I had to really be on my toes, watching out for the dreaded Black Ice. I went past many cars that had spun off of highway and into the ditch. As the drive wore on it did warm up a bit, with the temp at my house a toasty -4 below. Little did we know this was the warmest it would be for a while!

Wednesday dawned clear and cold with a temperature of -6 below zero and it struggled all day long to warm up topping out at -4 below. Over night the mercury dropped down to what Chris calls "Angry Cold" to a nose numbing -21 below! It did warm back up to a respectable -4 again before making another angry plunge to what I call a "Snot Freezing Cold" of -22 below freakin' zero! That was this morning, and I still made it to the gym just like every other day this week, but it was a little bit harder to leave the comfort of my flannel sheets knowing what awaited me outside. The sun was warmer and the wind shifted from the south and finally the cold slid back north to our friends in Canada. Our high today was 9 ABOVE zero which is still on the chilly side, but a big improvement over the last 80 hours! In Minnesota, we earn our Summers.

The Dashboard doesn't lie, -21 below zero baby!


No comments: