Friday, November 16, 2007

Chili Champ

Well, my reign as the Quad/Graphics MN Chili Cook-off champion has come to an end. The competition today was tough. 8 chili competitors from all over the nation...I mean Twin Cities (Nation sounds more impressive) came together today for the annual culinary slugfest also known as the Quad/Graphics Chili Cook-off. The crock pots were all lined up, labeled with only a number. At 3:00 pm employee's and customers of the Minneapolis office gathered, chili bowls and spoons in hand to taste test all 8 chili's and cast our votes for our 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices. Chris even came to provide moral support. Not to mention a potential additional vote! I went with a different chili recipe this year, not wanting to get in a rut. Overall it was a good chili but the Chirizo sausage I used ended up not being as flavorful as it should have been. That's what I get for buying at a gourmet grocery instead of a Mexican market. When the votes were all tallied I was 4th, 1 point away from 3rd. So, no podium for me this year. I was able to feel good about the fact that I had the most 1st place votes. My friend Ron who is a photographer at Quad/Photo won so I happily handed off the coveted Chili Cook-off trophy to him. I'm already planning my recipe for next year, so look out Ron I'm coming for you!

No comments: