Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Day 5 - Big Water

Richard Townsite Landing 
River Mile 1242
Days Milage - 20.1 miles
Total miles -  98 miles

Launched this morning at 8:00am from our camp site on Star Island. Today we had the most open water miles. First we had a 4.5 mile stretch over the very open, very exposed Cass lake. The first mile was breezy with swells well under a foot. Then, it got really interesting. For the next 3 miles we battled 2-3 foot swells that we had to paddle broadside. I’m used the these conditions on Minnetonka but not in a kayak with 150 pounds of gear and with no spray skirt. Did I mention I didn’t have it on my packing list!?  I figured it out on day 2 and Christina overnighted it to Aaron and Mary’s. They will be meetups for dinner and will deliver it to me. 
At the end of the Cass lake crossing is the Knutson dam a portage of 297 yards. I made a discovery about getting my boat on the portage wheels. Rather than muscle the 200 pound boat onto the rig while on land, I simply floated my boat on while still in the water. Magic!


The next 12 miles flow through the Mississippi meadow. A wide open wetland that was scenic, after 12 miles I was kinda done with it. 

Our goal was to make the entrance to Lake Winnibigoshish, then look for a place to take a break before starting off on Big Winni. We found a little fishing resort called The Four Seasons. It was a historic resort dating back to the 1920’s. There shared a sausage pizza and soda.  My Dew for Jon and I and Diet Coke for Bill. 

It was a welcome after 17 miles in our boats. Then, at about 2:00 pm we ventured out on to Winnibigoshish. The river technically runs directly across the lake, a 15 mile open water paddle. The lake is notorious for sudden wide shifts that cause 4-6 foot waves. Something we intend to avoid. With a southeastern wind, we paddled along the south shore to a small landing called Richards Townsite, over 6 miles of open water. Landed at 4:30pm, tired but glad to have Cass and part of Winni behind us. 

Aaron and Mary drove 90 minutes to drop off my spray skirt so Jon and I took them to dinner while Bill stayed behind to guard our gear and get a much needed break from Jon and I goofing off. 

Dinner was at The Big Fish supper club, owned by Al who is in fact the Big Fish. The claim to fame is the is a giant 40 foot Muskie that is in the opening of National Lampoons Vacation. Today was fried chicken day, so that’s what I had. That and a Bemidji Brewing Co IPA was excellent. 

Tonight we rest up to battle Big Winni and finish what many people call the toughest day of the whole source to sea journey. 

No comments: