Friday, January 08, 2016

Reflections on the retirement of a friend

At times of reflection like this, I can’t help but think back fondly to the early days of our careers at Quad. I realize now what an absolute blessing and honor it was to be a part of a growing, dynamic and transformative company that was headed by a true genius. Harry and the culture that he fostered have made me the man I am today. 


Sure there are days that I wish things could be like that again, but I also feel sure that in todays business climate Harry would be doing much of the same things that Joel is doing. Honestly, Had he still be around and seeing the way the landscape was changing I’m not so sure he wouldn’t have sold to RRD back in 2010 and rode off into the sunset. So, the fact that Joel took the lead in initiating chapter two was a blessing for all of us. Chapter two was not easy nor will Chapter three but in the end I like to Quote Tom Hanks in A League of There Own as he told a sobbing Gina Davis “Of course it’s hard, it’s supposed to be hard. If it was easy anyone could do it!” So, I lean into the hard every day and do my best to live the values, mentor the folks around me and try to create opportunities for those that are just starting out at Quad.

No comments: