Wednesday, April 18, 2007

It's that time

One man's dream is another man's nightmare. For years, Alex has dreamed of the day when he would take the wheel of a car and begin drivers ed. As a father, I too have dreamed of this day in a slightly different context! Alex began his classroom drivers ed instruction this past Monday, at Minnetonka High School. The course will have several weeks of class room instruction followed by several weeks of behind the wheel training with an end result of Alex receiving his learners permit. He will then have to drive with Chris and I for six months before he can take this road test and get this license.

The same day that Alex started Drivers Ed, he and Chris started him driving in our small neighborhood driving up and down the street and around the cul de sac. We want him to get the feel of the sensitivity of the gas and brake peddles, the responsiveness of the steering input and gadging distance, speed and braking. He is doing a good job, but as I've explained to him the biggest factor is becoming a safe driver is practice and experience. You have to know what to do and when to do it without having to think about it. My little boy is growing up. This is a big step in his preparation for leaving the nest some day. I'm excited for him but a little sad for me as I see him leaving childhood in the rear view mirror.

No comments: